About Us

My photo
Welcome to the Crump Family Blog! Join us as we travel the globe this summer exploring the great works of our great God! Ps 111:2

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Resting and Reflecting on a Sabbath

Hello friends! I am writing to you from the confines of the Austrian Hospice in the old walled city jof Jerusalem. The hospice is owned and run by Austrian Catholics and is one of the few places available to stay for visitors in the old city. It is located on the Via Del Rosa (the pathway Jesus walked carrying His cross from where He was condemned to Golgotha. Station III is directly outside this place. It was the first place Jesus fell carrying the cross. A couple minute walk to Station V is where Simon the Cyrene was forced to carry the cross for Jesus and where Jesus placed His hand on the wall for support - memorialized here:

I have been in Israel for less than 2 full day. I still have bit of a surreal feeling about visiting places where our Lord walked and ministered. It is very hot here now (I'm told nearly 10 degrees warmer than normal this time of year - 94 for a high today. I apologize for not blogging more, but when my family and I were traveling it was a busy pace and WiFI access was not always good. I drafted a blog on Scotland which disappeared off my IPad before I was able to post it. I learned a lesson from that - save more frequently, write less for each blog. I will likely blog more about our travels after I return and have better internet and computing access. For now enjoy a few photos of some of what I have seen hear in Israel.

Markets/people selling stuff everywhere - these are tame photos

Damascus Gate

Solomon's Caves. It is believed that the stone taken to construct the First Temple (Solomon's) was taken from this quarry which is now beneath the old walled city.

Tom, Tammy, Megan and Kyle Templeton joined me here yesterday. We took a tour of the Mt. of Olives - location of a number of events form Jesus' ministry - His entry to Jerusalem, His ascension to heaven. On the way down we visited the Garden of Gethsemane, the Pater Noster (place where He taught the disciples to prayer - Model/Lord's prayer), the place where He wept over Jerusalem. It was wonderful.

Some traditions hold that this is the spot from which Jesus ascended to heaven. Some say this rock even has footprint (Lord knows), but it does look like a footprint.

Church of Paster Noter

View from Church where Jesus wept over Jerusalem.

Graves of those who hope to have first view of the general resurrection.

Spot that tradition hold where Jesus prayed in the garden.

 

Lion's Gate

View of top of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre - places of Jesus crucifixion and resurrection. I will visit soon.

Dome of the Rock - beneath is the former location of the Alter in the Temple and where Abraham offered up Isaac. I hope to go there with guide on Wednesday.

Another view from the top of the hospice.

Today, the Jewish sabbath, I find myself in need of some rest physically and mentally. Thus with time and a good Wifi connection, I write. I will likely blog more later with deeper reflections on my experience. For now, let me end by saying I am so glad that the Lord Jesus and the Father are to be worshipped in Spirit and in Truth and that because of His grace, we are able to rightly know and worship Him, the Living God. We need not come to Jerusalem to be closer to Him - His Spirit abides within His people, whom He purchased with His own blood. To Him be glory forever!

Brett

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Sorry about the typos! Blogging from an IPad does not work really well. I can't seem to edit what I have posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12:18 pm. - Brett, I so enjoyed seeing your pictures & hearing about where you have been so far.. Can't imagine how that must feel to be where our Father walked & ministered-amazing to say the least! Enjoy the rest of your time there..
    Love & Blessings
    Mom...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's really awesome that you can go to all of these places. We've missed you and look forward to seeing your next blog.

    Love,

    Emily :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brett,

    Emily and I are here at the library checking out your blog. Sure appreciate the pictures and your comments. Keep blogging (and saving!!:) Praying for you...

    Love,

    Joanna

    P.S. I'll get Jordan over here to see your blog soon...he's out shootin' hoops.

    ReplyDelete